"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." - Albert Einstein

About Me

My photo
I use this blog to comment on the world as I see it. Sometimes that's negative...sometimes it's positive...but it will always be truthful.

Wednesday, September 30, 2009

011707 - Super Human Mommy Strength

At some point, you will face disaster. You will face it as a Mother and you will triumph over adversity...or at least, you will prevent any bodily harm from happening to your bean while simultaneously sacrificing all dignity and probably exposing yourself to lots and lots of pain.

Picture it:

Hobby Lobby parking lot. I and Little A are going into the store to peruse all things wedding. It is windy. It is cold. He is bundled up nice and toasty with so many layers he can't move his arms. I have forgotten to even brush my hair, much less wear a coat.

I've put him in his stroller, because it has one of those lovely little holders for cheerios which you will oneday love and need. I've put cheerios into the container, which he stares at longingly because, again, no arm movement.

As I flip flop along, pushing my bean in his super-stroller, I gaze both ways to ensure no oncoming traffic could endanger my little guy. In doing so, I take my eyes off the ground, a hazardous thing for a person with Mom-reflexes to do. I plummet, tripping over my own damn feet, and instinctively grasp the stroller to balance.

Now, most of you know, a stroller with a 22 pound child is no match for the monstrous post-partum weight of his Mommy...so the stroller tips.

While half-lying-half-sprawling on the ground, I right the stroller, and say "Wheeeeeee!!!!!" to prevent any therapy-meriting trauma to my bean. He giggles. I am shamed when I see the curious faces of the Hobby Lobby workers peering out at the klutz and her adorable little abominal snowman in the parking lot. Little A grabs at his Cheerios.

As I walk in, the 700 year-old lady who greets/checks says, "Do you need any help, honey?"

I sigh.

"Only if you have the power to restore the shreds of my dignity."

She looks at me like I'm a crazy person.

Cheerios are so important. This is the message to take with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment