"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." - Albert Einstein

About Me

My photo
I use this blog to comment on the world as I see it. Sometimes that's negative...sometimes it's positive...but it will always be truthful.

Monday, February 22, 2010

Experience, the body's cartographer

I once, ONCE loved a man more than he loved me. I sat, hours at a time, rapt at the music of his voice.

The calluses that develop on a soul, wrought from years of aching for the hand that dangles out of reach, form a foundation. The heart grows firm. The intellect sharp. The body declines as we pass from bloom to bloom, sampling what nectar falls on the lips. But the mind toughens, gathers mass and expands to embrace all experiences. All joy. All sorrow.

As we age, the music that once seized us grows trite. Irrelevant and pedestrian. Poignant and pointless. And yet, the calluses remain. Reminders that once, we were tender and pliable. Waiting to take shape from the ephemeral. Constantly pushing against the world and not realizing until too late that the world pushes back.

No comments:

Post a Comment